Sunday, September 26, 2010

New Directions

I quit my job this week.

I still can't believe I did it but as of October 22nd, I will officially be a stay at home mom. Or, I might become a go crazy at home mom--not sure which one will happen (most likely a combination of the two). This is not a direction I ever thought I would take in life. I have felt the guilt of being a working mother many times and have often contemplated giving up my paycheck, but one look at the finances, and I would decide the status quo would do. Life has been okay. First of all, I have a pretty good job. I am able to work full-time from home and be here when the boys get home from school, take Parker to and from pre-K and Pax only goes to daycare 3 days a week. Many moms would love a job that allowed them to work from home and I know how lucky I have been. It was working okay--not perfect--but we are doing okay. Second, my boys are getting older. Why quit now when it only gets easier every day? It would have made more sense 2 years ago when I had a baby, 2-year-old and 4-year-old. Third, I have actually had some free time on occasion. I have been able to read more books in the last six months than I have read in the last six years. Finally, financially we are in better shape than we have been since we were married. We have a lot of security and I am all about security!

BUT, and this is a big but, neither Nelson or I could deny that the spirit was saying it was time to leave my job. This was not just Lisa feeling guilty or the Knights reacting to a crisis (our usual life strategy). It was a clear and constant message that, for whatever purpose, I need to be focused on our family full-time right now. We took a look at our finances and it was clear that me quitting would not work. So, we did the rational thing and I quit anyway. It was a huge leap of faith and I generally like to keep my feet planted firmly on the ground.

It doesn't make sense but here we go! Succeed or fail, we are doing this and not looking back!

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, I love you and your family. It will work. Not always. But in the long run. (What does that mean, anyway?) We have a play date once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michelle! We are have always appreciated your support through the years. We love and admire and you and your family. I would love to come to play group sometimes. Parker has school every day from 11:35 to 2:35 so it may not always work but I am sure I will want chances to get out of the house.

    ReplyDelete