Friday, February 11, 2011

Week 1/31 through 2/13

I typed this up last week but never posted it so I am still behind but going forward.

Well, I missed a week but I am not going to beat myself up for it. Now I have two weeks to write about and if I have learned anything from TV it is that you can "double your pleasure and double your fun." Bonus! So here are the highlights for the week:

--Carter wrote his first official research paper. It was on the advantages and disadvantages of bioenergy. Ms. Moore is a real stickler for details and making sure everything is correct so his sources had to be properly cited and the title page was formatted in a certain way. He was a little confused on the title page so I offered my assistance. He politely declined and said he would ask Alex because it needed to be in a "college format." I reminded him that I did, in fact, attend college but apparently my masters degree was beat by Alex's one freshman semester.

--Addison joined the track team and is now spending every day after school running bleachers and practice 400 m races. He has always been a good runner and likes getting the exercise but I think this particular decision may have had something to do with getting to run after some cute girls. I hope said girls will continue to use that power for good.

--Parker and Colin had to do some dental work. In order to insure cooperation, Parker was prescribed a valium to take before the appointment. It was quite entertaining. He was singing, dancing and finding himself very amusing. After he fell one too many times, I picked him up. He just swung out his arms and said "wheeee! I can fly!" Parker coming down from Valium, however, was not much fun. I made sure to book the next appointment at a time when Nelson can take him.

--Paxton has discovered the computer. He can control the mouse and the house by demanding that it be open to him when he is in the mood--which just happens to be when anyone else decides to use it. Of course I would not even consider getting him a cheap computer for his 3rd birthday. That would be insane and the thought would not even enter my mind!

--Alex is well into his second freshman term. He had his first two exams this week. "They were okay."

--Carter also competed in the science fair. (5 months of light homework abruptly came to an end in the past two weeks) An episode of the show Arthur made an impression on him so he decided to see if baking soda could be substituted for baking powder in three recipes: chocolate cake, chocolate brownies and chocolate cookies. After scrambling until late on Monday, he managed to put together a tight little presentation and managed to take 2nd place in the chemistry division. I am not sure if that kind of procrastination should be rewarded but if it weren't then Nelson and I would not have made it through school so I will just be glad for a system that makes room for all learning styles ;).

--The annual superbowl party at the Johnson house was good to the Knights. My dad always makes the game more interesting by creating fun games. Nelson won some movie tickets, I won a gift card and Carter won the Rate the Commercial contest.

--Paxton gave up the pirate shirt this week but he exchanged it for a size 14 Pokemon shirt that went down to his ankles. Even the excitement of pressing the washer buttons would not get that one off him. I finally managed to get him into a shirt with a big 3 on the front, by telling him that he would be three if he wore it. At the end of the week I decided not to worry about what he is wearing and gave him a really bad haircut so that no one would notice his clothes. Yes, I do think I should write a parenting book.

--The best news of the week is that my dear friend Christy came from Philadelphia to visit last weekend. When I was at WGU we talked every week for two years and continued our friendship after I left. We had never met in person, however, so we were both incredibly nervous and it took a few looks at the airport before we finally recognized each other. It was a great visit! We finally got a chance to really talk and it was fun showing her around town. The best part is that even after spending a weekend with all of us, we are still friends.

2 comments:

  1. Yes...and after having me for a weekend you're still my friend, too! Still hard to believe it's only been two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would so have loved to see Parker on Valium, and Paxton wearing a size 14 shirt! Too funny!

    ReplyDelete